We are currently hiring an Assistant Cheese Maker in at PT or FT capacity. See below for additional openings. We do continue to hire shift-based Dairy Assistants on an as-needed basis (scroll down for detail).
ASSISTANT CHEESE MAKER
This is a key role in the dairy that is currently a 4-day per week role (M-Th) starting at 4am. There is ample room to expand the role. Desired start date is 3/1/18.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Receiving and pasteurising milk
- Assisting the cheese maker with the daily make
- Overseeing & executing as needed cleaning before and during production
- Contributing ideas & effort towards increasing the efficiency & quality of the dairy
The intent is for the individual in this role to backfill for the cheese maker when needed (holidays, illness, etc.). To this end, the Assistant Cheesemaker will apprentice the cheesemaker and learn the required skills to execute a make of each of our cheeses.
The role will expand as the individual gains mastery of core tasks and integrates into the business. The goal is to shape the role based upon the needs of Gringa Dairy as well as the skills & interests of the individual in post. Responsibilities will potentially include:
- Representing Gringa Dairy at special events & tastings
- Other responsibilities to support the smooth function & growth of the dairy
This is a salaried position starting circa £17K/PA with other benefits as well as growth-linked bonus opportunity.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
The individual in this role will get excellent, hand-on experience with making cheese as well as gain a clear understanding of what it takes to run a small-scale food business. So, if you are thinking you want to start your own business, this would be a great way to get a very close look.
We also pride ourselves on operating an open & inclusive environment that makes the most of (and values) the skills of each person who works here. There is ample opportunity to significantly expand the role and gain vital skills in core business areas.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- Able to lift 20 kilos
- Able to work physically
- Fluent in English
- Right to Work in the UK
- BA degree preferred
- Prior cheese making or food science experience an advantage
- Attention to detail
- Keen interest in cheese making
- Desire to contribute to the success of a small business
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and cover letter.
UPCOMING OPENING: Operations/Warehouse Mgr
This is the next position we will be hiring for, so throwing it out there in case it might be right for you. We are in need of a permanent part-time person (with opportunity to grow to full time) for someone to oversee the logistics side of what we do. Responsibilities will include:
- Managing inbound ordering
- Preparing orders for delivery (currently 2x per week)
- Overseeing inventory/stock rotation
- Management of the non-production facility
- Invoicing & light finance work
- Staff scheduling
- Ensuring regulatory and business documentation is up to date
Full job description, hours, salary TBD- email email@example.com if this might be a role for you.
Cheese making/Dairy Assistants (shift basis)
Interested in making cheese? This is a great way to get hands on experience. We need regular Dairy Assistants to assist with production. It is physical work and you need to be comfortable with working with your body and hands. You help with busiest part of the cheese making process (milling curd, salting and moulding) as well as do a lot of cleaning. You get good exposure to how a small dairy works and we really like everyone to contribute not just labour, but ideas and opinions on the process. A sense of humour is vital and you need to be very detail oriented.
While occasional workers will be considered, we really want folks who will commit to at least 1 day per week for at least 6 months. Our current schedule is as follows (note that all times are approximate):
- Monday, Tuesday & Thursday 10.30am – 5pm (approximate)
- Wednesday 7.30am-3pm (approximate)
The role pays £8.75/hour. Wage increased up to £9.50/hour with additional time commitment and responsibility. Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org