We are currently hiring a permanent Assistant Cheesemaker. We also have ongoing need for Dairy Assistants. Our needs are constantly changing, so check in regularly or get in touch to register interest in working with us.
NOW HIRING: ASSISTANT CHEESEMAKER
Want to get a great start or take the next step in your cheese industry career? Perhaps you want to explore if running a small food business is for you? Our Assistant Cheesemaker position might be the right role.
This is a 4-day per week (Monday-Thursday) salaried position. Prior cheesemaking experience is not required. Primary responsibilities include:
- Assisting Head Cheesemaker with the daily make
- Partnering with other Assistant Cheesemaker to ensure seamless oversight of production day
- Training & overseeing shift staff (with support as needed)
- Overseeing & executing cleaning before, during and after production
- Managing cleaning schedule for the dairy & executing tasks as needed
- Supporting execution of HACCP processes & assisting with documentation management
- Contributing ideas & effort towards increasing the efficiency & quality of the dairy
The role will expand as the individual gains mastery of core tasks and integrates into the business. The goal is to shape the role based upon the needs of Gringa Dairy as well as the skills & interests of the individual in post. Responsibilities will potentially include:
- Representing Gringa Dairy at special events & tastings
- Apprenticing Head Cheesemaker and growing to assume a full Cheesemaker role
- Assuming ownership of parts of production (such as pasteurisation, moulding or other)
This is a 4-day per week (Monday-Thursday) salaried position starting circa £17K/PA with other benefits as well as growth-linked bonus opportunity. Ideal start date is 14 January 2019. To apply, send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
The individual in this role will get hand-on experience with making cheese as well as gain a clear understanding of what it takes to run a small-scale food business. Individuals in this role have gone on to secure excellent positions in the industry and we pride ourselves on being a great place to gain a solid foundation in production.
We operate in an open & inclusive environment that makes the most of (and values) the skills of each person who works here. There is ample opportunity to significantly expand the role and gain vital skills in core business areas.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- Able to lift 20 kilos
- Able to work physically
- Fluent in English
- Right to Work in the UK
- BA degree preferred
- Prior food production experience an advantage
- Attention to detail
- Keen interest in cheese making
- Desire to contribute to the success of a small business
ONGOING: Cheesemaking/Dairy Assistants (shift basis)
Interested in making cheese? This is a great way to get hands on experience. We need regular Dairy Assistants to assist with production. It is physical work and you need to be comfortable with working with your body and hands. You help with busiest part of the cheese making process (milling curd, salting and moulding) as well as do a lot of cleaning. You get good exposure to how a small dairy works and we really like everyone to contribute not just labour, but ideas and opinions on the process. A sense of humour is vital and you need to be very detail oriented.
While occasional workers will sometimes be considered, we need folks who will commit to at least 1 day per week for at least 6 months. Our current schedule is as follows (note that all times are approximate):
- Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday 10.30am – 6pm (approximate)
- Thursday 8.30am-4pm (approximate)
The role pays £9.50/hour. Wage increases to £10.20/hour with additional time commitments & responsibilities. Please email your CV to email@example.com