IMMEDIATE– CHEESE MAKING/DAIRY ASSISTANTS (SCROLL TO BOTTOM OF PAGE FOR DETAIL)
IMMEDIATE — ASSISTANT CHEESEMAKER
Gringa Dairy, a rapidly growing urban dairy producing Mexican cheeses in SE London, is looking for a key member of our part time team – an Assistant Cheesemaker.
The role is approximately 8 hours per day, Monday through Thursday and is a salaried position at £16,225 per annum (aligned with London Living Wage) . Desired start date is early March.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Assisting the cheese maker with the daily make
- Training & overseeing shift staff (with support as needed)
- Overseeing & executing as needed cleaning before, during and after production
- Managing cleaning schedule for the dairy & executing tasks as needed
- Contributing ideas & effort towards increasing the efficiency & quality of the dairy
The intent is for the individual in this role to backfill for the cheese maker when needed (holidays, illness, etc.). To this end, the Assistant Cheesemaker will apprentice the cheesemaker and learn the required skills to execute a make of each of our cheeses.
The role will expand as the individual gains mastery of core tasks and integrates into the business. The goal is to shape the role based upon the needs of Gringa Dairy as well as the skills & interests of the individual in post. Responsibilities will potentially include:
- Representing Gringa Dairy at special events & tastings
- Assuming ownership of parts of production (such as pasteurisation, moulding or other)
- Other responsibilities to support the smooth function & growth of the dairy
This is a part-time, salaried position starting £16,225/PA with other benefits as well as growth-linked bonus opportunity.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
The individual in this role will get excellent, hand-on experience with making cheese as well as gain a clear understanding of what it takes to run a small-scale food business. So, if you are thinking you want to start your own business, this would be a great way to get a very close look.
We also pride ourselves on operating an open & inclusive environment that makes the most of (and values) the skills of each person who works here. There is ample opportunity to significantly expand the role and gain vital skills in core business areas.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- Able to lift 20 kilos
- Able to work physically
- Fluent in English
- Right to Work in the UK
- BA degree preferred
- Prior cheese making or food science experience an advantage
- Attention to detail
- Keen interest in cheese making
- Desire to contribute to the success of a small business
To apply, please send your CV to email@example.com
We are a small but growing organisation and our needs will continue to change. We do continue to hire shift-based Dairy Assistants on an as-needed basis.
Cheese making/Dairy Assistants (shift basis)
Interested in making cheese? This is a great way to get hands on experience. We need regular Dairy Assistants to assist with production. It is physical work and you need to be comfortable with working with your body and hands. You help with busiest part of the cheese making process (milling curd, salting and moulding) as well as do a lot of cleaning. You get good exposure to how a small dairy works and we really like everyone to contribute not just labour, but ideas and opinions on the process. A sense of humour is vital and you need to be very detail oriented.
While occasional workers will be considered, we really want folks who will commit to at least 1 day per week for at least 6 months. Our current schedule is as follows (note that all times are approximate):
- Monday, Tuesday & Thursday 10.30am – 5pm (approximate)
- Wednesday 7.30am-3pm (approximate)
The role pays £8.75/hour. Wage can increase up to £9.50/hour with additional time commitment and responsibility. Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org